Frequently Asked Questions

How do I request a roommate?
Students will have the opportunity to request a roommate when completing their housing application within the student housing portal. In order to be placed with the requested roommate, that student must accept the request when completing their housing application.

May I change my room?
Yes, however, there is a housing “freeze” during the first two weeks of each semester. During this freeze, room changes may not occur. After this two-week period, students may request a room change during the advertised Open Room Change period. Room change requests after Open Room Change will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

When will I receive my housing assignment?
New students can expect to receive their housing assignment in mid to late July. It will be emailed as well as be viewable in the student housing portal.

Returning students will self select their housing assignment during housing selection in the Spring semester.  If a non-local student misses the housing selection process, they will be assigned a space over the summer.

How will I receive mail?
Mail and packages are handled by Duplication and Postal Services located within the Scriber University Store inside the Batten Student Center. Students will receive an email when they have mail to pick up. The format for addressing mail to students should be in the following:

First Name Last Name
5817 Wesleyan Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23455

Can I request a single room?
Single rooms are in high demand and there is a limited number. Outside of sufficient medical documentation and approval by the medical accommodations review panel, single rooms are assigned based on seniority starting with seniors. However, first-year students may get assigned to a single room based on availability. In this case, it is likely to be in Bray Village.

I submitted a request to live off campus, when will I receive a response?
Requests are reviewed during the summer and decisions are typically made in July. Decisions are made based on overall campus occupancy, with approvals based on seniority beginning with those who have the least remaining time as students.

Is there a housing deposit?
There is no housing deposit, however there is a damage deposit applied to your student account that will be refunded to you if no damages are found in your room after checking out at the end of the semester/year.

If I’m taking a January Term or Summer Session course, am I required to live on campus?
For summer sessions, you are not required to live on campus. However, for January Term, you must request permission from the Office of Residence Life to commute prior to the start of January Term.

May I keep my belongings in my room over breaks?
You may leave your belongings in your room over break periods with the exception of summer. All items must be removed from all rooms at Spring move out or if you will not be returning to the same room after the Fall semester. Any items left behind after May Commencement will be disposed of.

I have a question that was not answered here, contact Residence Life via phone at 757.455.3295 or email at