Research Librarian for Online Learning and Circulation
VIRGINIA WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY (www.vwu.edu) invites applications for the position of Research Librarian for Online Learning with primary responsibilities for in-person and online information literacy instruction and circulation management. This position is a full-time, 12-month exempt position with faculty status reporting directly to the Head Librarian of the Hofheimer Library. An ALA-accredited Master’s degree in library or information science is required. Candidates should demonstrate experience working with students from diverse backgrounds.
- Lead initiatives for supporting library instruction for online students and support for faculty creating and teaching online courses.
- Collaborates with campus colleagues in the design and delivery of online learning content in support of online students and faculty.
- Advises faculty on finding, using and creating Open Educational Resources.
- Manage circulation services and supervise student assistants.
- Support library marketing and events.
- Serve as liaison to academic programs in one of the university’s four academic schools.
- Provide assistance to students, faculty, and staff in the use of library resources.
- Participate in developing the library collection to meet the needs of the curriculum and coordinate collection development activities.
- MLS/MIS from an ALA-accredited program.
- 1-3 years’ experience in library instruction and research assistance. Knowledge of WMS/WorldCat Discovery preferred.
- Demonstrated ability with student assistants.
- A working knowledge of Open Educational Resources (OER) and their use in higher education is preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Attention to detail.
- Relationship-building skills.
- Academic library experience is preferred.
“Virginia Wesleyan is Coastal Virginia’s Premier University of the Liberal Arts and Sciences,” offering both graduate (MBA, MEd, MAEd) and undergraduate programs in a traditional on- campus setting and online. VWU offers 35 undergraduate majors, 30 minors and seven pre-professional programs. Affiliated with the United Methodist Church and located on a 300-acre wooded campus in Virginia Beach, the University enrolls approximately 1,600 students.
Hofheimer Library is a highly collaborative, innovative, caring and inclusive environment that demands collegiality, flexibility and adaptability. Librarians contribute to library-wide planning, goal-setting and assessment efforts; teach technology workshops for faculty; staff outreach and orientation events on behalf of the library; and participate in collection development. The salary is competitive, and the University offers an attractive benefits package.
Applicants should submit, electronically (as a single PDF), a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and three professional references to Ms. Regina Barletta, Director of Human Resources, at email@example.com. A review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Questions about the position should be addressed to Stephen G. Leist, Head Librarian of Hofheimer Library at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Statement of Non-Discrimination
Virginia Wesleyan University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants are considered on the basis of skills, experience, and qualifications without regard to race, religion, color, creed, gender, national and ethnic origin, age, marital status, covered veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, the presence of non-job-related medical disability, or any other legally protected status.