Graduate Assistant for Men’s and Women’s Cross Country and Track & Field
Assists the Director of Cross Country and Track & Field in operating the intercollegiate men’s and women’s cross country and track & field programs that pursue the program’s mission and vision statements as well as the goals of the Virginia Wesleyan Department of Athletics and the greater university. Commitment runs from August 1st through May 31st (through the NCAA Outdoor Track & Field Championship and the end-of-the-month fiscal allocations) each of the two years of their corresponding graduate program.
- Bachelor’s degree required; current enrollment in one of the degrees within the graduate programs offered at Virginia Wesleyan University.
- Previous participation in track & field as an athlete and/or coach at the collegiate level.
Skills and Characteristics Required
- Desire to assist in administration of NCAA Division III intercollegiate program, including roster compliance, travel logistics, budget allocation, inventory, meet entry/administration, and recruitment;
- Possess strong organizational skills, including: time management, prioritize multiple responsibilities, problem solve, and possibly supervise a work-study student or student volunteer;
- Possess good judgment, the ability to work independently with tasks being completed accurately and promptly, and the ability to take ownership of special projects as gifted and interested (i.e. recruitment, budget planning, student-athlete mentorship, etc.);
- Possess a working knowledge of Microsoft office suite and Google suites;
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
- Possess good listening and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to be team player within the coaching staff, athletics department personnel, work-study students, student volunteers, student-athletes, and Virginia Wesleyan University community;
- Ability to establish appropriate and effective coaching relationships with student-athletes;
- Interest to assist in preparing, implementing, and evaluating athlete training, and to help coach, teach, and train student-athletes in skills and strategies in order to help athletes maximize their potential, under direct supervision of the head coach;
- Desire to embrace and enhance existing programs and systems, and offer/initiate new ideas;
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality;
- Background and experience in the sprints and hurdles is preferred;
Support and promotion of the team vision statement, mission statement, and core values:
- Vision Statement: To win conference championships, qualify student-athletes for nationals, pursue a national championship, and help all student-athletes reach new personal bests.
- Mission Statement: To use the sports of cross country and track & field as tools to develop in student-athletes great character and a strong sense of purpose beyond athletics.
- Core Values: Integrity, Teamwork, Serving, and Excellence
Special Working Conditions
- Required to work weekends and evenings as needed.
- Assist in the teaching of track & field technique critical to student-athlete development and success in practice and competition settings.
- Assist in coordinating general administrative duties, including: roster compliance, travel logistics, procurement and inventory of equipment and apparel, budget allocation, meet entry management, home meet administration, recruitment, and compliance with administrative procedures and university policies.
- Communicate with the coaching staff, athletic trainers, sports information director, compliance officer, facility assignors, faculty athletic representatives, and department administrators (procurement, admissions, athletics) as needed.
- Assist in the planning, organizing, implementing, and evaluation of prospective student-athlete recruitment and campus visits.
- Assist in analyzing student-athlete performance in preparation for, during, and after competition in direct communication with coaching staff.
- Assist in facilitation and organization of track & field practice and meet-day operations and responsibilities.
- Assist with overseeing academic support measures for cross country and track & field teams.
- Maintain consistent, prompt, and reliable attendance.
- Assist with team travel, including the operation of a 15-passenger van.
- Perform other administrative duties as assigned.
Interested candidates may apply by submitting a resume via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Virginia Wesleyan University
Virginia Wesleyan University is Coastal Virginia's premier university of the liberal arts and sciences. Situated on a 300-acre park-like campus in Virginia Beach, the University annually enrolls approximately 1,600 students in undergraduate, graduate, and online programs. Undergraduate degrees include a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, and Bachelor of Social Work with 42 majors, 32 minors, and 19 pre-professional tracks. Graduate degrees include a Master of Business Administration and Master of Arts in Education. Students thrive in average class sizes of 14 and through the University's experiential learning, high-impact leadership, and career-development programs. An inclusive community dedicated to scholarship and service grounded in the liberal arts and sciences, Virginia Wesleyan University inspires students to build meaningful lives through engagement in Coastal Virginia's dynamic metropolitan region, the nation, and the world.
Virginia Wesleyan is a university with a coastal edge. Located in Virginia Beach, where the Atlantic Ocean meets the Chesapeake Bay, our region is proud of its vibrant city life, sandy beaches, and rich history. Learn more at visitvirginiabeach.com/explore.
Statement of Non-Discrimination
Virginia Wesleyan University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants are considered on the basis of skills, experience, and qualifications without regard to race, religion, color, creed, gender, national and ethnic origin, age, marital status, covered veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, the presence of non-job-related medical disability, or any other legally protected status.