Virginia Wesleyan University’s Information Technology department (Malbon Center for Technology) is seeking experienced candidates to fill a full-time Systems Administrator position, as the incumbent recently advanced within the organization. The Systems Administrator is a member of the Enterprise Information team and reports to the Director of Enterprise Information.
The position serves a vital role in managing the installation, configuration, and maintenance of server (physical and virtual) hardware and software, and related infrastructure. Additionally, the individual implements and manages account provisioning processes including our University Active Directory environment, Azure based Single-Sign-On, and Multi-Factor Authentication.
The ideal candidate will bring technical experience, strong communication skills, a value for teamwork, and a desire for continued growth in a higher education environment.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for support of server operating systems and associated backups (awareness of performance metrics on servers and critical applications is a necessary part of this position’s responsibility).
- Manages all aspects of the university’s server, application, and storage virtualization infrastructure.
- Designs, implements, and manages virtualized server infrastructure to consolidate the university’s servers and systems.
- Maintains the provisioning automations of user accounts for all services provided by the university.
- Manages the university’s storage infrastructure including but not limited to storage area networks, direct attached storage, and server-based storage systems.
- Assists with the research and planning of new technology, best practices, capacity planning for new projects, and working with vendors to obtain costs and options.
- Provide secondary support for university phone systems in coordination with the Information Security Officer/Network Manager.
- Planning and supporting system integrations.
- Develop and maintain strong documentation on the support and maintenance of processes and integrations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in IT related field or equivalent experience
- Minimum of three years’ hardware and software configuration, maintenance, and troubleshooting
- Experience with the installation and configuration of server operating systems
- Experience with the installation and configuration or virtual server infrastructure
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must have good interpersonal skills
- Ability to learn new technology
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
Interested candidates may apply by submitting a resume and cover letter via email to: email@example.com.
About Virginia Wesleyan University
Virginia Wesleyan University is Coastal Virginia's premier university of the liberal arts and sciences. Situated on a 300-acre park-like campus in Virginia Beach, the University annually enrolls approximately 1,600 students in undergraduate, graduate, and online programs. Undergraduate degrees include a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, and Bachelor of Social Work with 42 majors, 32 minors, and 19 pre-professional tracks. Graduate degrees include a Master of Business Administration and Master of Arts in Education. Students thrive in average class sizes of 14 and through the University's experiential learning, high-impact leadership, and career-development programs. An inclusive community dedicated to scholarship and service grounded in the liberal arts and sciences, Virginia Wesleyan University inspires students to build meaningful lives through engagement in Coastal Virginia's dynamic metropolitan region, the nation, and the world.
Virginia Wesleyan is a university with a coastal edge. Located in Virginia Beach, where the Atlantic Ocean meets the Chesapeake Bay, our region is proud of its vibrant city life, sandy beaches, and rich history. Learn more at visitvirginiabeach.com/explore.
Statement of Non-Discrimination
Virginia Wesleyan University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants are considered on the basis of skills, experience, and qualifications without regard to race, religion, color, creed, gender, national and ethnic origin, age, marital status, covered veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, the presence of non-job-related medical disability, or any other legally protected status.